Selasa, 05 Juni 2012

CLAUSE CONNECTORS


CLAUSE CONNECTORS


Clause Connector is word that is used to join or to connect clauses in order to form sentences that are both grammatical and logical. There are three groups of clause connectors such as coordinating conjunction, sentence connector, and subordinator (subordinating conjunction). The first two groups are used to join independent clauses to form compound sentence. The last group is used to introduce dependent clauses, which are joined with independent clause to form complex sentence.

A.    Coordinating Conjunction
Coordinating conjunction is usually used to join two or more independent clauses in compound sentence. There are seven coordinating conjunctions: and, but, yet, or, nor, for and so. Each clause in a compound sentence must have a subject and a verb, is equal importance, and can stand alone. Punctuate the sentence by putting a comma (,) before the coordinating conjunction.
·     And shows augmentation/ addition
-         My father moved to Klungkung, and I moved to Denpasar.
-         Bayu is friendly teacher, and he is also intelligent.
·     But and Yet show contrast
-         Ani loves Tony, but he doesn’t love her.
-         Tina likes reading, but her sister likes watching TV.
-         Gandhi is vegetarian, yet he eats chicken.
-         I have a guitar, yet I cannot play it.
·     Or and Nor show alternation/choice
-         Are you going to go to the party, or will you stay at home?
-         I will call you, or I will send you an SMS.
-         I do not write Japanese, nor do I speak it very well.
-         She does not go to Denpasar, nor does she go to Badung.
·     For and So show reason
-         The students didn’t pass the exam, for they didn’t study last night.
-         Ani is very intelligent, for she always studies.
-         The lecture was simply explained, so I could understand it.
-         Dono is naughty boy, so I don’t like him.

NOTE: When coordinating conjunction joins two clauses, the conjunction is normally preceded by comma.
Independent Clause, + Coordinating Conjunction + Independent Clause

B.     Sentence Connector
The independent clauses of compound sentence can also be joined by a sentence connector such as furthermore, in addition, besides, moreover, however, nevertheless, otherwise, consequently, therefore, thus and hence. Sentence connectors are used frequently in formal writing to connect long clauses. Punctuate the sentence by placing a semicolon (;) after the first clause and a comma (,) after the sentence connector.
·     Furthermore, besides, in addition and moreover show additional idea or augmentation.
-         Television is entertaining; furthermore, it is sometimes instructive.
-         Anton is a good boy; besides, he always tries to help other people.
-         I have done my home work; in addition, I have already handed it to my lecture.
-         Jono is kind; moreover, he is generous.
·     However and nevertheless show contrast.
-         Andi moved to Denpasar; however, his parent stayed in his home town.
-         Mr. McBuddy loves surfing; nevertheless, he doesn’t have surfboard.

·     Otherwise shows alternation or choice of two possibilities.
-         You may send me an SMS; otherwise, you can call me.
-         We can meet at the park; otherwise, we can meet at the library.

·     Therefore, hence, thus, and consequently show result.
-         I dislike eating bread; therefore, I never eat it.
-         We must study hard; hence, we will have examination tomorrow.
-         He studied very hard; thus, he passed the examination.
-         The road was wet and slippery; consequently, there were many accidents.
NOTE: Independent clause; + sentence connector, + independent clause.

C.    Subordinator
Subordinator is used to introduce dependent clauses, which are joined with independent clause to form complex sentence. In complex sentence of two related ideas, one idea is generally more important than the other one. The more important idea is placed in the independent clause; the less important idea is placed in the dependent clause. The dependent clause is introduced with a subordinator.
The following are frequently used subordinating conjunctions: when, while, where, because, so that, as, since, even though, although, if, who etc.
-         I loved studying English when I was teenager.
-         I will take a vacation when I have the time.
-         Tony does his homework while/as he watches TV.
-         Buddy missed the village where he was born.
-         I don’t have to explain the lecture thoroughly because my students are clever.
-         I always studied hard so that I could pass the exam.
-         As he was very clever, he passed the exam easily.
-         Since you have already studied that chapter, I will not explain it again.
-         I go to teach even though it is rain.
-         Although she was sick, she went to school.
-         I will try to answer if you have a question.
-         The woman who is sitting under the tree is my girl.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar